Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Sydney, Sydney, Sydney...

So I took Sydney to the hospital today! Yes...AGAIN! Can we say accident prone??!
Tonight's Adventure in 4 Acts
The Background:
Austin and Sydney decided to "golf" with a junior-sized golf club (yes, a real one). I was cleaning out the garage, and didn't notice this fabulous (*note sarcasm*) activity. So yay to me... I get the "inattentive mother award" for the evening!
The Injury:
Austin takes a swing at his tennis ball, and hits Sydney in the head on his back swing. The shrieking alerted me that something was amiss...I look over and Sydney has blood dripping down her face. After the bleeding stopped, I saw that the impact split the skin on her forehead pretty good...and I informed her that we would make a trip to the hospital.
The Post-Injury:
Sydney was crying a lot...obviously it was painful...but when I mentioned the hospital, the wailing increased in intensity. I told her that it wouldn't be like last time...I explained the joy of stitches, band aids, and stickers....and luckily, that won her over. In the mean time, Austin is crying too...wanting to know if I am giving him a time-out. The poor boy was a wreck (and it didn't even happen to him)! After explaining that I wasn't mad, I knew it was just an accident, and that Syd Syd would be okay--he calmed down to a whimper. Oh I almost forgot to mention, Nick had left the house to run to the store (about 20 minutes prior)...and he gets a cryptic call from me. I calmly, yet abruptly say: Nick, Syd got hurt. She is okay, but she needs stitches, so come home so I can take her to the hospital. *click* (By the way, you got to love the one car family situation!!)
The Hospital:
Sydney whimpers the whole way to the hospital, and the moment we walk in the door...it is all grins and giggles. I even had to remind her that "she needs to sit down" and "she can't skip in a hospital." We were at the hospital for about 45 min to an hour. You gotta love small town life!! We were the only ones there, in the ER at 6 in the evening. Sydney was awesome during the whole stitching up thing...only some minimal whimpering at the end (I wonder if the doc didn't numb it all over). Everyone was so impressed. I guess she had a lot of practice, right?!

The moral of the story:
Hide the golf clubs...it is never a good idea to let children (and even some adults) play with, let alone swing, a golf club!
I'll attach pictures tomorrow!

6 comments:

Rob and Jewls said...

Poor Syd-Syd! All's well that end well, right? At least she calmed down for the actual hospital part. These kids can sure do a number on poor moms nerves, huh?! Miss and love! Julie

Olivia Carter said...

Oh gosh- we haven't had any hospital runs yet but I am so clumsy I'm worried I may have passed it on to my kids.

Erin said...

My sister lost half of her front tooth thanks to a golf club when she was 8 years old. I know the dangers!

Glad she's okay. And I'm glad the stickers worked to lower the crying to a minimum.

Lindsay Jane said...

Poor Syd. All she wants to do is have a good time and now biking and golf have nearly killed her. Hopefully she'll make it to adulthood and still have a few recreational activities that don't frighten her.

julie said...

You are such a good mom, I have no idea how I would have handled that.

Patty said...

Wow Sydney seems to be very active which results in accidents. I hope all is okay. You seem to have handled the incident very well.